Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Custom Kick Head


A few weeks ago I received my custom drum head from drumart.com for my band Ebeneezer.

I opted for the removable logo for my 18" kick drum. That way I can remove it without taking the drumhead off if I'm playing with another group. The logo is basically high quality printing on vinyl film. It installs easily and looks so professional I'm shocked it cost me under a hundred dollars. If you need/want a custom head I would recommend this company for sure.

The only problem I had with the logo was the first time I gigged out with it. I loaded my car up with the drums on a Thursday night for the Friday gig. I went to work Friday and left the drums in my hot car all day and then drove 2 hours up into the mountains to the gig. Alma Colorado is just shy of 10,000 feet, and thats almost twice the altitude of Denver. We had the midnight slot at the bar and it was quite cold out by the time I unpacked my drums. as I unpacked I noticed that the logo had started to peel off the top of the drum head. Some closer inspection revealed that the vinyl did a little shrinkydink number. The vinyl had stretched out in the heat and contracted in the cold. I 'made' the head go back on the drum with a little duct tape and it made it through the gig.

When I got home I put the head in the bathtub and let it soak in about 4 inches of the hottest tap water. I then applied the logo to the glass shower door and used a squeegee to remove the bubbles. My wife wasn't too thrilled that she had to look at my band logo while taking a shower, but thats another story. Anyway it worked and the head flattened back out. Next time I have to keep my drums in my car I'll remove the logo until right before the gig and it should be all right.

No comments: